Why is it So Difficult to Remove the Smell of Smoke?
Our fire damage experts are trained in a wide variety of restoration needs, including odor control. Call us today.
SERVPRO Uses Deodorizing Products and Techniques to Mitigate the Effects of Jacksonville House Fires.
Virtually any type of fire causes a pungent odor that permeates throughout the home. A simple explanation for this phenomenon is that smoke particles are tiny and can travel to every nook and cranny in your home. Left unattended, smoke odors can last weeks or even months in your Jacksonville home. There are specific techniques and deodorization agents such as the direct-spray Odor Control, Water Based Cinnamon that assists in removing or masking the smell of smoke.
Is Professional Assistance Helpful with Deodorizing?
SERVPRO Understands Deodorization Techniques to Remove Offensive Odors
Although it may be possible to complete fire damage restoration on your own in your Jacksonville home, trained professionals can access professional equipment and cleaning products. Removing the strong smell of smoke is not a single step process. What works for one type of fire in a specific home may not work for another. SERVPRO professionals can assess your unique situation and determine a recommended course of action.
What are Basic Deodorization Procedures?
- Rid your home of the odors source.
- Clean residues from surfaces. Residues can cause additional odors.
- Re-create the conditions. Basically, this means to create a smoke-like fog through the use of thermal or ULV fogging equipment to penetrate into areas where the smoke odors embedded.
- Seal surfaces to lock in the odor so that it cannot escape and travel through the air.
In addition to the necessary deodorization procedures listed above, ventilation and thorough dry or wet cleaning are crucial steps in removing odors. Without proper ventilation, the smell of smoke tends to linger for more extended periods.
For 24/7 assistance, contact our emergency response team at SERVPRO Jacksonville of South at (904) 762-8066. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
What Factors Can Impact the Cost of Water Restoration?
Water Damage Restoration Needed in Jacksonville? No Job Is Too Big or Too Small for SERVPRO
Water Restoration Costs Vary Between Jacksonville Homes
Jacksonville homes include a wide range of architectural styles, from Georgian and Prairie styles to ultra-modern condos. Did you know the city has more pre-1967 buildings than any other in Florida? Some structures even predate the Great Fire of 1901.
With such a range of buildings in Jacksonville, water restoration costs can vary widely. SERVPRO is ready to tackle water damage in any size and shape structure – no job is too big or too small, and We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
How does the type of building affect water restoration costs?
Construction materials affect how water soaks into the structure of a building, which makes a difference to restoration efforts. For example:
- Wooden beams and floors might warp, swell or crack when soaked
- Metal can rust but is not likely to be deformed by water
- Drywall can soak up water and become so damaged that we need to replace it
- Masonry units and mortar can crack in extreme cases
The type of construction materials dictates what can be cleaned and dried where it is, and what SERVPRO must remove and replace. Material type is also a factor when deciding on a drying protocol, such as where to position air movers, dehumidifiers, and fans.
What about the source of water and the extent of the damage?
The source of water and the extent of water damage can both impact water restoration costs
We categorize water three ways:
- Clean water has no contaminants in it and does not pose a health risk
- Gray water may have some contaminants (such as water from a dishwasher) and thus might post some health risks
- Blackwater contains hazardous things such as raw sewage or animal carcasses and is the most dangerous category of water
The water classification impacts the level of safety precautions SERVPRO of Jacksonville South needs to take. It also affects whether we can salvage personal belongings, furniture, and electronic devices.
The extent of water damage also impacts the restoration bill. It is much cheaper to remediate damage in one corner of the laundry room from a leaking washer than to fix an entire flooded bathroom. The home's size also matters – it takes less time to restore a one-bed condo than a six-bed Colonial style home.
What else can affect the restoration bill?
Other factors that can affect the water restoration bill include:
- Whether there is standing water in the property – standing water must be pumped and vacuumed away
- The length of time before SERVPRO arrives – call us as soon as possible because the longer it takes, the worse water damage gets
- What kinds of clothes, textiles, devices, and furniture are involved – each of these requires cleaning and restoration, which can add to costs
- Whether or not there is fungal growth or its risk– this adds mold remediation to the cost
What does SERVPRO do to keep water restoration costs down?
Our team knows that keeping costs down is essential to homeowners. One way we keep the bill lower is by focussing on restoration rather than replacement where possible. In many cases, we can clean and restore furniture (including antiques), floor coverings, drapes, and even keepsakes and craft materials such as photographs, documents, and canvas. We can also have bed linens, clothes, and other textiles sent out for professional cleaning.
We use spot cleaners, foam cleaners, hot water extraction, and even wet fogging to clean and deodorize furniture and soft furnishings. We carefully test each item before washing to ensure the cleaning method is safe for the material.
Cleaning is not only cheaper than replacing items; it makes your life easier when it comes to claiming insurance because the amount you claim is lower.
We lower the cost to you by keeping our organization highly trained and well organized, so you can rest assured you are getting the fastest and most effective service at all times.
What can homeowners do to save on water restoration costs?
The best way for homeowners to save on water restoration costs is to protect their home and belongings from water damage. It is not always possible to avoid a storm, but you can help storm-proof your home. Fix leaking doors and windows, or damaged tiles or gutters, immediately. You can also add storm shutters or storm doors.
You can also take steps to prevent plumbing incidents and broken appliances. For example, we recommend regular checks for leaks, water stains, dripping faucets, or running toilets. It is also essential to maintain machines and make sure all pipes, valves, and seals are in perfect working order.
For help with water restoration in any home, call SERVPRO of Jacksonville South at (904) 762-8066.
Can a Leaky Pipe Cause Considerable Damage in a Beauty Salon?
Water leaks can quickly cause damage in your salon. Call SERVPRO today to avoid additional water loss of your property.
Silent Leaks in Jacksonville Salons Can Cause as Much Damage as a Burst Pipe. Let a Professional Team Restore The Space and Avoid Future Problems.
Business owners in Jacksonville and around the globe worry about the upkeep of their shops. Despite their best efforts, broken pipes and leaks are inevitable. What you do in the time following the incident can determine how long your business remains shut to your customers, eroding your bottom line. Your best resource is a professional water restoration team that knows how to operate in a commercial setting.
Water mitigation services in Jacksonville are our specialty at SERVPRO. As fellow business owners, we know just how important it is to lessen the disruption a leak can have on your operations, and we work accordingly. We operate 24/7 to be even more responsive to your time of need. Our professional crew pays close attention to industry best practices and any guidelines relevant to your industry. We also coordinate with any relevant insurance adjusters or repairers who need to come into your beauty salon to get it back up and running.
How does one measure water damage?
Some water damage is evident to the naked eye, but water can also seep into your walls and subfloors, causing damage you cannot see. At SERVPRO, we rely on our observations, but we complement them by using state-of-the-art equipment to help us quantify water levels and pinpoint areas of concern.
Once our moisture meters and hygrometers inform us of your business's state, we proceed with the actual extraction, which we do by using several techniques. Some examples of equipment we may employ include-
- Injectidry technology to dry within wall cavities
- Drying mats to suction moisture out of flooring materials, such as hardwood
- Wand extractors to access cabinets and baseboards and restore humidity levels
Pumps, dehumidifiers, and air circulators also play an essential role in our process. Altogether, you can trust our crew to take your salon through the restoration process from extraction to drywall repair to disinfecting.
SERVPRO of Jacksonville South is at your service when you need us. Call us at (904) 762-8066 when disaster strikes and let us leave your salon "Like it never even happened."
What Should I Do If Muddy Water Rises from the Ground into My House?
Floodwater is often contaminated. Take precautions when restoring your flood damaged home.
For Flood Damage Mitigation When Muddy Water Enters Your Home as a Result of a Flood in Jacksonville, Call SERVPRO
Anyone who has lived in the Jacksonville area knows the region could get hit by hurricanes or their after-effects. Once cyclone conditions strike the neighborhood, massive amounts of rainfall could occur and cause your property to get heavily saturated.
What can happen if moisture gets into my house from the ground?
During flood damage mitigation projects in Jacksonville, our SERVPRO technicians first inspect the source of the H2O entering the residence. If the source is a roof leak or water coming in from a window, it is classified as a category two situation, meaning that there is a chance the moisture could be contaminated. Suppose muddy waters enter your structure from the ground. In that case, it is more than likely contaminated by harmful microorganisms, and the incident gets treated the same as a sewage backup and called a category three scenario.
What measures need to get taken when the moisture entering my home is contaminated?
- Remove affected building materials and contents: Since water can soak deeply into porous items such as your carpet or upholstered contents, the bacteria, fungi, and viruses can soak deeply into them. Therefore, our SERVPRO crew must remove wet carpets or rugs that get affected by category three water.
- Sanitize affected wooden structural components: Once your wet contents and porous building materials like your carpets have been removed, we can then sanitize your subfloors or wooden studs with a chemical product such as Vanquish that can kill any harmful bacteria, fungi, parasites, or viruses.
- Dry out affected items: Once we apply antibacterial products, we can then work towards drying out your structural components, such as your subfloors, using air movers and dehumidifiers.
Muddy waters entering your home from the ground up can cause several problems. For professional assistance, Call SERVPRO of Jacksonville South at (904) 762-8066 24/7.
More about Jacksonville.
What Are Cleaning Principles Necessary for Restoring My Jacksonville Home After a Fire?
SERVPRO first cleans up the fire damaged Jacksonville home with controlled demolition and then begins the restoration process
Understanding surface and content cleaning and its obstacles help the process be more productive and safe for all involved.
Restoring fire damage in any capacity for Jacksonville homes requires careful considerations for the materials involved and the spread of these fire loss effects. The intentions of responding technicians are to find the most efficient paths to recovering surface damages and repair or restore the pressing concerns regarding soot, smoke residues, and lingering odors. These same restorative practices must also be used to protect and preserve impacted contents and personal belongings throughout the structure once fire restoration professionals arrive.
As a leading company for fire restoration in Jacksonville and its surrounding areas, our SERVPRO of Jacksonville South team can offer a fast and reliable response after extinguishment completes. With our relationship with many local insurance providers and our report in the communities, we are often aware of fire emergencies before these disasters are extinguished. The sooner that we reach damaged addresses, the more of a home's contents we can relocate, and the sooner that thorough cleaning practices can get underway.
What are the Primary Principals of Fire Damage Cleaning?
Cleaning up after a fire loss requires multiple tools, products, and personnel to complete. With many types of materials impacted, the approach for restoration and surface cleaning varies accordingly. At its basic levels, the cleaning process for fire damaged contents and structural fixtures within the property are the same. There are four main elements to every successful cleaning action, and these include:
- Temperature – Heat causes molecules to move more quickly, which in most cases, can improve chemical reactions and their effect on the compromised surfaces.
- Agitation – Physical actions that introduce the solvents and cleaning products to the surface materials, such as brushing, wiping, and scrubbing.
- Chemical Action – The application of chemical solutions, products, and agents react with soils on the surface.
- Time – Every cleaning action requires a set amount of time to dissolve, emulsify, clean, or oxidize.
How Can Oily Soils Get Removed from Surfaces?
There are multiple strategies to remove soils and residues from the surfaces of the damaged structure. Oil-based residues require specific solvents and strategies to successfully remove without damaging the underlying substrate of the material. There are three primary approaches that our SERVPRO team can use in these situations to remove soils and restore the affected construction materials or contents exposed. These include:
- Abrasive Cleaning – There are several situations in which the traditional harsh cleaning techniques, such as media and soda blasting, can also have positive effects on the removal of oily soils.
- Emulsification – Water-based detergents get used for pulling oils away from the surface so that they can be blown or rinsed away.
- Dissolving – Using the principle 'like dissolves like,' oil-based solvents can get used directly on soiling to dissolve and dissipate thicker residues for efficient surface wipe cleaning.
What Is the Benefit of Balancing the pH in Soil Damage?
Nearly all of the residues and soiling throughout a fire-damaged property have some degree of pH when exposed to water. Finding a balance and neutralizing the pH of your property's threatened areas can make the cleaning process more efficient and safer for the responding technicians. Acidic sediment is often most common, as much of the soot particles circulating in the house have a lower pH number. Responding with alkalinity can neutralize these threatening particles, so surface damages do not result.
How Can Staining Get Removed?
Staining is often a considerable concern with cleaning after a fire loss because of threats like a wet smoke standard in higher humidity conditions typical of the Florida climate. We have a few approaches that can help to address these concerns before they become irreversible.
- Oxidizing Bleach – Much like the use of ozone deodorizing practices, oxidizing bleach products like chlorine introduce an extra oxygen molecule that eliminates damaging compounds that lead to staining or even harsh odors.
- Strippers – Instead of adding more oxygen to the damaged area, stripping bleaches and products seek to remove more oxygen from the damaged surfaces for a similar effect.
- Stain Remover – Water stains can often be a concern, especially when extinguishment introduced a high volume of water into the property. Using peroxide-based cleansers, we can often eliminate lingering water stains.
Fire losses present an immediate threat to homes and businesses throughout the area, requiring multiple cleaning strategies, products, and equipment. The loss of life is of paramount importance as explained by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA.) Our SERVPRO of Jacksonville South team can appreciate what your property needs and work efficiently to make fire losses "Like it never even happened." Give us a call today at (904) 762-8066.
When Should Flood Recovery Start in My Damaged Jacksonville Home?
From both extraction and cleaning to reconstruction and repairs, you can count on our SERVPRO of Jacksonville South team to help after a flood.
Getting experienced restoration professionals involved quickly can reduce the spread and severity of flood loss effects in Jacksonville.
Your first look at the disaster damage to your Jacksonville home might be overwhelming after a flood. As quickly as devastating storms can pass through the region and cause flash flooding, or how readily torrential rainfall over prolonged periods can lead to a rise in streams and creeks, protecting your home after a disaster involves more than what you are capable of doing on your own. DIY restoration can be beneficial after specific smaller damages occur, but the actions that a homeowner should take after flood emergencies include:
• Shut off utilities
• Remove valuables
• Get occupants safely out of the house
• Contact your insurance provider
• Contact restoration professionals
Because flood damage in Jacksonville homes can vary significantly, there is no one set approach to restoring and recovering damaged properties. Extraction is often one of the first stages of flood restoration, and this can involve multiple tools and strategies. In addition to the extractors that our professionals might need to utilize in a flood-damaged property, we must also begin vital cleaning and recovery efforts as soon as we arrive, such as debris removal and muck-out cleaning. Our in-house contractors can help with temporary construction solutions necessary to stop flood penetration and clean up.
Is Reconstruction Avoidable?
Often the damage to a home after a flood is significant, meaning that in most structures, there is some degree of controlled demolition and build back necessary. Because we have a roster of general contractors available to dispatch with our mitigation team, we can perform controlled demolition when more of your home can be protected from spreading loss effects.
From both extraction and cleaning to reconstruction and repairs, you can count on our SERVPRO of Jacksonville South team to help after a flood. Give us a call today at (904) 762-8066.
How Thorough Are Mold Removal Companies In Restoring Jacksonville Properties?
If your home is overtaken by mold you need to call the professionals. Call SERVPRO today for remediation assistance.
Familiarity with the Service is One of the Reasons SERVPRO is A Great Partner When You Need Help Removing Mold.
When mold develops in your house, you need two things – remediation and reassurance that the actions taken are sufficient to nullify the issue. SERVPRO takes a systemic approach to ensure a thorough mold removal process and to reassure Jacksonville homeowners.
How do we ensure mold removal restores our Jacksonville property to preloss state?
The process may involve several steps. Our SERVPRO technicians focus on a couple of areas like:
- Inspection and assessment of mold damage
- Mold Containment
- Removal of mold and mold-Infested materials
- Air Filtration
- Cleaning Contents and other materials
In most cases, when you seek help because of mold in your Jacksonville Home, you have noticed some signs such as patches or spots on surfaces, or there is a whiff of musty odor in your property. However, these signs rarely reveal the whole picture because mold tends to develop in hidden sections of the house. Our technicians can help perform additional tests, including drilling inspection holes on ceilings or walls and lifting covers such as carpets to establish how far the problem spreads around the house.
What sort of containment is done when mold is discovered?
Containment mostly helps prevent mold debris from spreading all over the property. Our SERVPRO technicians set up containment barriers using 6-mil plastic sheets, poles, and grip disks. Limiting further mold growth by applying biocides to vulnerable surfaces can also count as a form of containment.
Running air filtration devices helps remove moldy residues from the air. We also use the devices to create negative air pressure in the contained area, thus ensuring residues do not spread. With proper containment, demolition of affected materials and cleaning can run smoothly without affecting the rest of the house.
When you need mold problems in your Baymeadows, San Marco, or Deerwood home resolved, SERVPRO of Jacksonville South is ready to help. Call us at (904) 762-8066. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Want to see more about Jacksonville?
Is It Reasonable to Expect One Jackson Water Restoration Firm to Manage All Tasks Needed to Return a Business to Pre-Loss Condition?
SERVPRO Bridges Water Damage Cleanup and Restoration in Your Jacksonville Commercial Property to Repair--Let's Get You Open for Business!
A General Contractor's License, Scalable Crews, and Nationwide Equipment Inventory Resources Support SERVPRO's Pledge to Provide the Jacksonville Business Community with Premier Water Restoration Services
A water loss can significantly disrupt the operations of your Jacksonville restaurant. Media reports tend to focus on storms or other natural disasters when sharing information about commercial water damage. Much more frequently, the water-based harm business property suffers has ordinary, less newsworthy sources. The negative effect on both the business property and operations can be severe regardless of the water source. Many different types of crises can cause severe water damage, including:
- Leaking pipes
- Clogged air conditioning
- Broken appliances
- Sprinkler system malfunctions
- Inattention or negligence (spills and overflows)
Do I Need to Find and Hire Different Contractors for Each Step in the Water Damage Restoration Process?
The agenda for water damage restoration in your Jacksonville eatery might be complicated, but our mission is to provide wrap-around help for our business customers. We invest in comprehensive training from the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) for our managers and technicians in a broad range of general disaster and targeted water damage specialties. We are proud to be considered water damage restoration leaders in our region and take our responsibility seriously to help businesses with the many aspects of water damage they must confront.
Are There Ways for My Restaurant to Remain Open While Professionals Restore Water Damage?
SERVPRO knows the long term prognosis for businesses that must shut their doors to recover from a disaster is not the best. As many as 50 percent of commercial endeavors risk permanent closure if they stop offering goods and services temporarily because of water damage. With this statistical reality in mind, we strive to work closely with our commercial customers to try to create ways to restore water damage efficiently while your business also continues to be a vital part of the community. Some options include:
- Installing baffles and barriers to prevent the water from spreading widely through your building
- Building containment chambers wrapped with 1.6 mil polyethylene -- installing negative pressure air scrubbing technology inside these chambers to seal the perimeter and prevent drift of any airborne residues or odors
- Performing as much of the restoration as possible during non-customer hours
- Considering online or phone pick up ordering until dining room areas can be restored
What Can Water Restoration Look Like for My Restaurant -- In a "Nutshell?"
Water restoration projects have similarities, even though each has its quirks and challenges. Having an overall expectation helps you prepare and adapt to what might happen in your business:
Before the Restorers Arrive
- Shut off the water main
- Consider shutting off the electricity, or have a clear path to breakers for our team
- Elevate chairs and tables on blocks or at least slip foil under legs to prevent the finish from staining
- Use towels to soak up water -- sweep water to drains in tiled areas
Our project manager evaluates safety hazards and institutes controls:
- Slip, trip, and fall hazards -- tape off areas and set up danger signs
- Electrical hazards -- power off partially or completely
- Structural risks -- call in our construction division to erect supports, punch weep holes
- Contamination (an example might be waste pipe back up) -- determine if personal protective equipment (PPE) and space containment required
Moisture detection and metering to establish work area and provide baseline drying data
- Pump and extract water, including trapped water as exposed below
- Use controlled demolition to release trapped water
- Drilled or sawn holes at the base of walls or in mortar joint
- Flood cuts when drywall is damaged and needs removal -- several inches above moisture line, stud to stud
- Clean and disinfect soiled surfaces with EPA-registered products
- Draft a drying plan based on moisture data
- Implement the drying plan with the positioning of air movers, heaters, and dehumidifiers
Repair and Rebuilding
Wrap around restoration services are possible because of our investment in a licensed contracting crew. Leverage the skills of our construction managers and workers on the journey to preloss condition:
- Repair the weep and other water release holes
- Replace the drywall removed for flood cuts
- Attention to a wide range of other repairs, replacement, and rehabbing need to get the restaurant back to normal
Shift the burden of commercial water damage restoration to SERVPRO of Jacksonville South. Our turn-key services offer you the confidence to assure your customers that your operations are on course to provide both the goods and the services they expect. Call us at (904) 762-8066 to focus on returning from a water damage setback even stronger than before.
General: # CBC1256211
How Important Is Relocation of Valuables after A Home Floods?
Keep the Dog! But, SERVPRO can pack-out your content for storm damage restoration while we clean up your home in Jacksonville
SERVPRO Understand the Benefits and Challenges That Move-Outs Present Thus Offering Several Options to Jacksonville Homeowners Affected By Flood Damage
Flooding can cause widespread damages in your property in a matter of minutes. Apart from the damage that happens immediately after the water breaches the property, further deterioration continues as time progresses. Moving items from your Jacksonville home after flooding can help prevent or minimize some damages.
What items are most vulnerable to ongoing deterioration?
Most of the valuables you have in your Jacksonville house are bound to deteriorate when exposed to flooding because:
- Moisture leads to rusting of metals
- Water causes wood to swell, warp or rot
- Humidity sparks microbial growth
- Contaminants embed permanently to porous materials
Apart from the moisture deposited when materials are exposed to floodwaters, processes such as evaporation or water wicking through materials spread the moisture further. When your items remain in the waterlogged property, there is a risk of continued exposure, thus worsening damages.
How fast should a move-out be done to be effective?
If the only reason for moving items from the loss site is to prevent further deterioration, then a speedy removal is essential. Our SERVPRO crews can help facilitate your goal in different ways, including offering different move out options like:
- Full move out to an external facility
- Partial move out within the property
- Provision of temporary storage containers
We recommend an option based on the prevailing conditions at the loss site. For instance, if the damage is minimal and confined to some parts of the property, it is easier to move items to the unaffected section. We also take further precautions such as sealing off the openings between the affected and unaffected areas with plastic sheets to limit the transfer of materials.
Protecting items after flood damage can lead to better outcomes. Call SERVPRO of Jacksonville South at (904) 762-8066 to help manage move-outs from your property if necessary. We're Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Do I Need Professional Cleanup After a Small Fire in My Jacksonville Kitchen?
The techs arrive quickly and restore your home to its preloss condition.
Even Small Fires In Jacksonville Can Leave Big Problems
A common reason for fires in kitchens is a flare-up from a pan unless water got used to extinguish the fire, which makes the situation far worse, it is usually put out quickly. However, many Jacksonville homeowners notice immediately even though there is no charring in the kitchen, a distinct and very pungent odor remains. This scent means you have protein residues throughout the room, and they need removal to eradicate the smell. Worse, without proper cleanup methods, it can spread to other areas of the home.
How Do I Get Rid of Protein Residues from Fire Damage in My Kitchen?
It is hard to clean up fire damage in your Jacksonville kitchen that is hard to see, and it is astonishing to find out how far away from your stove residues can travel. This type of smoke residue can be difficult to remove and require the use of solvent-based cleaning agents to release the grip on the surface. Common areas that need cleaning are:
• Varnished cabinets
• Walls and ceilings
Each of these areas requires testing to ensure the cleaning agent chosen will not mar or damage the surface it is performing the task of lifting away the fire loss residues. It is not uncommon for multiple cleaning solutions to get used on varying surfaces, so each has the best outcome.
If the HVAC system ran post-fire in the home, there is a good potential that the ductwork may require cleaning due to the presence of odorous particulate. The techs have specific equipment to use to eradicate odors within the ductwork, so they do not spread throughout the home.
SERVPRO of Jacksonville South at (904) 762-8066 is ready 24/7 to handle small or large fire damage situations in local properties. The techs arrive quickly and restore your home to its preloss condition.